8.15.2008

Nikole

A 2006 graduate of Ryerson University’s photography program, Nikole Peters applies her documentary style to subjects including sex trade workers, widows and cancer. Since moving back to the city she has worked as a freelance photographer shooting weddings and portraits. Future projects? Nikole wants to find a trucker she can travel across Canada with to photograph truck stops, and a taxidermist who can help her document animal’s life cycles.

What photo project have you been most proud of?

My thesis was a retrospective on my father’s life, which chronicled his whole life and battle with cancer. I photographed my dad even on the day he died and then put it in a book, and then had to talk about it with hundreds of people. Although my teachers thought the project was too personal, I received e-mails from people thanking me [for] doing the project. Nearly everyone has had someone [with] cancer in their life, and can relate to the same emotional connection.

My teachers thought a lot of it was inappropriate too, like my brother smoking a joint at the funeral and my dad wearing a “Fuck Cancer” shirt. But I thought it was the most real.

Do you think photography influences style?

No, I would say style influences photography. If I had to say what kind of “style” I am, I think I am a weird mix between Amy Winehouse, Mary-Kate Olson and Gwen Stefani. But I like things that are classic. I think I usually buy things that aren’t going to go out of style in a year.

You have a lot of tattoos. What is your latest one?

It’s a Latina-style piece that says “nostalgia”. I really like the word nostalgia and I like the idea that it used to be considered an ailment. In the past, when you were homesick or depressed and in the army, they had this physiological sickness called nostalgia which they actually treated with drugs.

Your fiancé is also a tattoo artist. What will the style of your wedding be?

I’m getting married [to tattoo artist Andrew Alexander] in January in Jamaica. I am hoping that the style will be simple, but like a ’40s screen star gone Grecian. Pin curls, red lipstick, black makeup… and on the beach. I’m getting a bracelet made from Hillberg & Berk, a Regina jewellery designer. And I bought a necklace from ETSY that says “Wifey” which I will wear the day after at breakfast.

What do you think you will be wearing when you are 60 years old?

I really want to be like my Grandma Shirley who wears all leopard print, red lipstick, lots of gold accessories and has her hair dyed flaming red.

pic and interview for Prairie Dog

xo carey




No comments: